One of the most desirable building lots in Norwich was the corner between the Congregational Church and parsonage opposite the town common. The land was owned by Mr. James B. Tracy, a cabinet maker employed out of town most of his lifetime. In his old age Mr. Tracy retired to the old home which had been in his family since 1829. As he had no close heirs, he once remarked to his friend and neighbor, Dr. L.B. Jones, that he’d like advice as to how to leave his property so that it might do the most good after he was gone. Dr. Jones’ advice found expression in a will by which Mr. Tracy left his estate of $8,000, including the corner lot and house valued at $3,000, to the town of Norwich for the purpose of erecting a fireproof town hall to be called the Tracy Memorial Hall.
Tracy Memorial Hall
Tracy Memorial Hall, located at 300 Main Street at Church Street, houses the Norwich Town offices.