In 1828 John Wright built the first commercial building on this site. The earliest occupants of his brick building are unknown. In 1875 Edward W. Olds moved his mercantile business to Wright’s building, his store at the corner of what is now Beaver Meadow Road and Main Street having been consumed by fire a year earlier.
In 1895 the store became Smith and Merrill’s, and sold groceries and hardware. After the two brothers-in-law had a falling out, Merrill bought Smith out, and the store was renamed Merrill’s.